I grabbed for the extra towel I had in the floorboard of my car to quickly try to soak up the urine Annie had just deposited in the front passenger’s seat of my car. I didn’t fuss at her – it upset her so much she was already trembling.  Obviously, she had a urinary tract infection and a visit to the vet was needed.
After calling her regular vet, as well as a couple others, the lowest price for a visit with meds was $100 – which was $100 I didn’t have. I had an outpatient surgery scheduled and was trying to save every penny in preparation for the $400 deductible. Obviously, I couldn’t let her go untreated.
I had posting her on Craig’s List and Facebook four previous times trying to find a new home for her - one with a fenced-in yard and children or other dogs to engage her. I never even received one inquiry from any of them.
With great trepidation, I looked up the number for the Greater Birmingham Humane Society. I had told myself I would not resort to taking Annie there; but I had run out of options. I spoke to a lady there asking if they were successful at rehoming pit bulls? Yes, she replied, we find good homes for them everyday. What about if they are ill with a urinary tract infection? Our vets check each dog and we routinely treat them for that condition, she replied.
I told myself, don’t make any hasty decisions. It was mid-day on Friday, April 15th, and I could think and pray about it overnight. However, I kept feeling led to take action that afternoon.
I tearfully loaded all Annie’s belongings (15 bones, leash, harness, toys, blanket, treats, food, heartworm and flea/tick meds) into a bag. I still feel shame admitting I surrendered Annie to them. 
The lady who assisted me there was so kind. She asked me what I was going to do since I was giving up my emotional support dog? I told her I guessed I would get a teddy bear to ride in the car beside me. There is no replacement for Annie.
I told myself I wouldn’t go on their website to see if she was still listed. I made it a week without doing so. Then, I just had to check and see if she was posted. When their website opened, Annie’s picture appeared on the first page. She looked a bit timid but you could tell her tail was wagging because it appeared blurry in the picture. I had spent a lot of time that week earnestly praying for God to send the perfect family to adopt Annie. I continued begging God, in my guilt and shame, to provide everything she could possibly need in a loving family.
Sunday, April 24th, I once again opened their website. To my relief, Annie’s picture was not displayed among the dogs seeking homes. I called the Humane Society to see if they would confirm Annie’s adoption, but they said the only way I would know was if her picture had appeared on their site and then been taken down (which it had).
I know everything happens for a reason during God’s perfect time. Although I still cry for Annie, I know in my heart God answered my prayers for her.
Thank you, Father, for your loving kindness that knows no bounds and for hearing your children’s prayers.
Lamentations 3:21-23 (ESV)
But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.